Happy Valentines Day!
We wish you a happy V-Day, fellow duel-nerds. A very special patch today, from the bottom of our hollow developer hearts.
- Improved stumble animation
- V-Day special moves
- 5 New soundtracks by Tom Stoffel (see below)
- Added a new training section to help players practice against constant fast stance attacks
- Lots of improvements to ffa community
- Added new soundscapes
New Music by Tom Stoffel
We liked his music so much we’ve contracted Tom to do 5 more combat tracks for us. Here’s one of them for you to check out!
You can leave him comments on his twitter https://twitter.com/TomStoffelSound
Update: Server move is complete. Website and stats system are back online. Thanks for your patience.
Our servers are going to be down for several hours this weekend whilst we move to a new datacenter.
The Puny Human, Dystopia and Blade Symphony websites may experience some downtime whilst we perform the move. All stats and rankings will be unavailable during the entirety of the move along with the Blade Symphony nightly and US West game servers.
Other services may also be unavailable during this time.
Downtime Start: Thursday, February 13th ~7pm (PST)
Downtime ETA: Several Hours
PST/PDT, Pacific Standard Time (US)
7:00p Thu, Feb 13 2014
GMT, Greenwich Mean Time
3:00a Fri, Feb 14 2014
NEW YORK, United States, New York
10:00p Thu, Feb 13 2014
Speaking of which, Flappy Bird or Goat Simulator?
- Intercept animation updated for female
- Improved male shuffle animations (especially shuffle left)
- Block animations now care about stance, specifically if the stance has the player facing to the left or right
- Block animations now react to attacks
- Enough time to take a selfie
- Gave jumps a more curved arc so as to not feel so “hit the ceiling” (see below)
- Shuffle and Rolls now have a 0.3s cooldown after Attacking (re feedback on rolls, and shuffles being over-abused post-attack via Inathero, Water, Airlines). This is unaffected by Katana Feint. So don’t freak out. You know who you are.
- Fixed a bug that allowed attack cancels to be used to ignore shuffle cooldown and vice versa (shuffle canceling bug)
Red line is the old jump and blue line is the new jump
A lot of work was put into refining how the jump feels. The problem was that after pushing the jump button, it felt like characters were hitting their peak a bit too quickly, and then basically stopping at the peak (see the red line above). The original intent was to make the jump feel instant, and powerful, but the limited jump height that we have no didn’t play very nicely with this. Hence, we’ve adjusted the curvature so that it takes slightly longer to reach the peak, but the downward slope and overall height (top graph) and distance (second graph) remain the same.
- Adjusted side canceling percentages so they’re more apparent. Seriously, how can someone play 500 hours and not have heard of this feature? Maybe we are failures at informing others of this feature? Anyway, see the new tutorial chapter.
- Side canceling for fast changed from 50% to 60% (cancels 10% sooner)
- Side canceling for balanced changed from 35% to 40%
- Side canceling for heavy changed from 10% to 15%
- This means that for most side attacks, they can be canceled into their other side counterpart slightly faster. This should empower all side attacks slightly, hopefully make stringing these moves together more responsive.
You get a buff! You get a buff! Everyone gets a buff!
- Sped up Judgement balanced 2 t1 to comp for openings against phalanx foil fasts
- Moved Fast S3 T1 (running stab attack) to S3 T2 and swapped back in the old T1 animation (feedback re … a lot of players, but special thanks to ebunny for the great writeup)
Gentleman “Mask” by Hydra
- Air stance now have a bit more turning (re feedback on Phalanx air’s current difficulty to use)
- Air stance side attacks now cover more distance overall as it was being pretty useless as an anti-heavy tool, and hopefully more useful (re WhoArts feedback on their uselessness compared to Forward)
- Modified air left so it can’t be abused too badly with feint
- Reduced Balanced Strafing attacks (moveable sides) lock time from 1.0 to 0.8 for left, and 1.1 to 0.9 for right
- Reduced Balanced Strafing attacks velocity pinching on the ground slightly and made the pinch happen closer to the end of the attack (re feedback on these moves being clunky)
- Reduced lock time for Heavy Left all tiers so that Phalanx has a better heavy stance shield move (1.0 to 0.8, 1.4 to 0.9, and 1.4 to 1.2 for each tier respectively)
- Increased fast stance knockback very slightly overall to give opponents more breathing room between fast pokes
- Reduced knockback for Fast 4 T1 by a lot, since Phalanx already has the natural bounce-back on the move and movement abilities are no longer usable to deal with catching back up to Phalanx
SCIMITAR OP (???)
- New Pure Fast S1 T3 attack, an instant-start version of T1
- New Pure Fast S2 T3 attack, a vertical attack with a follow-up
- New Pure Fast S3 T3 sliding knock-down attack
- New Pure Balanced S1 T2, which is a long-held version of T1 used as a better tracer parry block
- New Pure Balanced S2 T2, a slower version of T1 dealing damage the whole way through
- New Pure Balanced S3 T2, a slower version of T1 with tracers starting earlier and ending later
- New Pure Balanced Right T2, a slower version of T1 with active tracers nearly the entire animation
- Updated Pure Heavy Stance upper body animation
- Trimmed air side attacks so they don’t linger on the ground
- Added a bit more land-lock time for Ryoku air side attacks (0.75s to 0.9s)
- Renamed to Rapier (requested by lots of people who actually use the weapon IRL) (rest of stats, website, etc still needs to be updated)
- Increased parry recovery time for the Parry user on forward attacks from 125% to 130%
- Decreased knock-back on Foil from 25% to 15%
- Fixed a bug that was allowing back+attack to escape the parry recovery penalty
- Forward damage increased from 75% to 80%
- Disabled tracer refraction effect when shader settings are on low/med
- Leagues now update immediately after duels
- Fixed unapproved items not showing up on local player
- Fixed a workshop crash when publishing items
- Fixed an issue where masks for Phalanx were not working
- Fixed mask icons in menu not refreshing if item was subscribed while customization screen is open
- Community map updates (storage room, rooftops) and fixed some clipping issues
- Fixed camera passing through deck fencing on free_winter
- Added initial version of Canceling tutorial chapter, covers side canceling, feint canceling, and air canceling.
- Swapped some wording in the tutorial.
- AI Practice mode will now randomize the practice opponent’s character
- The bot now randomizes stances
- Removed intro camera from Bot practice
- Updated credits
- Hello reddit
We’ve got a hotfix for two issues, patching into your game right now.
- Phalanx Air Sides
- Added more telegraph before the animation starts and slightly longer lock times upon landing
- Feint sound volume and sharpness reduced
- Fixed an issue where feint sfx would play rapidly over and over again on high ping
Let us know what you like or don’t like on the forums.
Blade Symphony update #2243
Hey all we have a lot of new updates for you in this patch!
You can now practice with bots under Training->AI Opponent. It’s an initial prototype, we’ll expand more on the features of the training bot soon.
Per Pixel Motion Blur
Biohazard has been working on some graphical improvements to the game. Per pixel motion blur applied onto players make animations look more fluid and dynamic.
The new ambient occlusion options (HBAO) allow the levels to ‘pop’ a bit more by creating shadows between crevices.
Players can now publish and share custom masks. Check them out on the Steam Workshop!
We’ve revamped how the ladder works. Players are now divided into leagues based on their ELO percentile. Only same league matches are ranked, which prevents farming low level players, as well as shiny new icons you can earn in your stats profile page. We’ve also taken out the GLICKO time-based system, so you earn points regardless of last time played.
- Workshop now supports masks
- FFA now ranked by default
- Community optimization and detailing: storefronts, landing pad, etc.
- Added leagues Oak, Iron, Steel, Diamond, Master and changed the ranking system
- Players now only gain or lose ranking when dueling within their league
- Scoreboard now shows league instead of rank
- Removed speed multiplier for dash animation, duration is now derived from animtime
- Increased shuffle animation speed by ~20%
- Made roll move scale 0.8 so that rolls can move up to 5 squares
- Throwing star animation made faster, from 1.2s to 0.9s
- Swapped Ryoku fast string 4 t1 with t2, reduced “new” t1 lock time to 0.4s (from 0.5), gave it knockback 0.8
- Swapped sword properties between Katana and Longsword (block tech and stats)
- Removed longer charge duration length from Katana
- Feint functionality revamped to allow for the feinting/canceling of attacks in progress before the tracer comes out
- Feint cancels string now
- Feint now has a particle and sound effect
- Made block angle from 90 degrees to 120 degrees
- Intercept now applies constant stun for 1 second
- Reduced intercept movement by 35%
- Reduced intercept locktime from 1.0 to 0.8
- Balanced S1T1 lock time reduced from 0.4 to 0.3
- Heavy S2T1 lock time reduced from 0.9 to 0.85
- Heavy Left T1 lock time reduced from 1.6 to 1.2
- Heavy Right T1 lock time reduced from 2.2 to 1.7
- Air S1T1 land-lock duration reduced from 0.55 to 0.15
- Air Left T1 land-lock duration reduced from 0.75 to 0.3
- Air Left T2 land-lock duration reduced from 0.75 to 0.5
- Air Right T1 land-lock duration reduced from 0.75 to 0.3
- Air Right T2 land-lock duration reduced from 0.75 to 0.3
- Added Pure fast right t3, forward s2 t2, s3 t2
- Pure Balanced S1T1 tracers start earlier and end earlier
- Pure air side:
- Reduced move scale from 1.0 to 0.8
- Lock duration increased from 0.7 to 0.9
- Land-lock duration increased from 0.3 to 0.4
- Fixed air stance locking longer than attack locktime (made string counter reset and caused incorrect stance transitions)
- Fix string cancel by charge jumping
- Fixed crash related to offline mode
Audio and Visuals
- FFA outlines is now an option
- Sit animation now only tries to stand up when certain actions are performed (not scoreboard etc.)
- Added per-pixel motion blur and a corresponding video option
- Added ambient occlusion (HBAO) and a corresponding video option
- Added camera options for lag and velocity
- New Judgement voice
- New tracer trail particle effect
Hi everyone, update revision #2071 is live for Blade Symphony. Included are lots of balance changes, spectator music, Ryoku’s voice, a sit animation, better controller support and more. Here’s the changelog:
- Added a new property airspeedscale for attack speed velocity scaling when in the air
- This scaling is applied to the following attacks (all strafing attacks)
- Judgement: Heavy Left T1, Heavy Right T1
- Phalanx: Balanced Left T1, Balanced Right T1
- Pure: Fast Right T1, Balanced Left T1
- Enabled feint in the air
- Re-enabled air stance lock for attacks with landing animations
- As a result, air stance side attacks are not side-cancelable
- Made side cancel for fast from 0.75 to 0.5
- Made side cancel for balanced 0.5 to 0.35
- Changed fatigue settings to what they were before patch 2002 (except for running)
- bb_fatigue_postattack_duration from 1.1 to 0.5
- bb_fatigue_levels from 3 to 5
- Made rolls not as affected by fatigue
- Made getting hit not affect your turn speed
- Fixed tracer intersection preview not working in ffa without private duel
- Added command for Bot sparring in the tutorial menu.
- Rolling sideways now uses the roll forward animation, to the sides
Graphics & Sound
- Added spectator music (Tom Stoffel FTW)
- Added sit action (‘meditate’), bind in controls
- Made roll forward versions of left and right
- Pure heavy and fast run upper body animations
- Changes to Pure, Phalanx, Announcer vox
- Replaced Ryoku vox
- Added announcer toggle to game options
- Adding fast food store for community
- Pulse shop for community
- Community misc. detail and optimization, skybox
- Made scimitar multi-hit damage from 7 to 6
Katana / Scimitar:
- Made Blocking (Katana, Scimitar) not turnable
- Reduced angle of block from 180 degrees to 90 degrees
- Foil guard delay from 0.5s to 0.15s
- Air left move scale from 0.65 to 0.5
- Air right move scale from 0.75 to 0.6
- Balanced left lock duration from 1.0 to 1.2
- Balanced right lock duration from 1.15 to 1.3
- Fast sides lock duration from 0.35 to 0.5
- Fast side tracers now cover in front of him
- Fast forward s3 t2 tracers now starts up later
- Updated Phalanx balanced left, right, heavy right, heavy left, heavy forward (all tier 1) so that they swing faster and adjusted timings
- Phalanx: improved heavy left t1 and heavy right t1 animations so they are snappier
- Phalanx: improved heavy forward s1 t1 animation
- Phalanx: made balanced left t1 and balanced right t1 swing faster
- Phalanx S1 T1 lock duration from 0.7 to 0.9 and knockback scale from 1.0 to 1.3 (Dino/Taz)
- Phalanx S1 T2 lock duration from 0.6 to 0.8 and knockback scale from 1.0 to 1.4 (Dino/Taz)
- Added airspeedscale for Pure fast right t2 (thanks eBunny)
- Adding a bit of locktime to phalanx air forward landing from 0.35 to 0.55
- Updated animation for phalanx air forward
- Fast side move scale from 1.0 to 0.7 (less movement)
- Fixed fast 2 t1 tracer
- New air left t1, air right t1
- Reduced damage for air left/right t2 attacks from 24 to 18
- Reduced damage for air left/right t3 attacks from 30 to 22
- Changed air right t2 and t3 animations to be same as t1 whirlwind
- Air side now has landing lock-time of 0.75s
- Air right now uses the correct landing animation
- New fast left T2 and fast right T2
- New fast S1 T2
- Fast right T3 now uses T2 animation
- Reduced velocity pinch for Judgement Heavy Left
- Fixed joystick camera overwriting viewangle locking
- Fixed dash/shuffle/directional attacks not being affected by joy movement
- Fixed joystick inversion controls in UI
- Added axis mapping to config_joy_default
- Added 360controller.cfg which is auto executed when joystick is enabled
- Fixed spectator controls for joystick
- Added gameui_toggle command for joystick
- Implemented joy controls in customization screen
- Added joy cmd to turn 180 degrees
- Added main menu button links for joystick
As the official release of Blade Symphony draws closer, the need for feedback and testing becomes increasingly important; so we’re reaching out to you guys to help us make the game the best it can be before launch.
Every Saturday, we’ve been hosting a live stream that shows our development progress, and a Q&A session where we respond to your questions. We hope you guys will join us every Tuesday and Thursday from 6-7 PM EST (11-12 PM GMT), and Saturdays 4-5 PM EST (9-10 PM GMT) over the next month to help test the game alongside the devs. For all of these events we’ll be using the nightly test build of Blade Symphony, so check out this post on how to get in on it.
So come out and join us every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, have your voice be heard, and help us improve Blade Symphony for everyone!
Every year, we celebrate the seasons changing with loved ones, hot meals, warm spirits and…sword slashing?!? In the interest of giving, we’re expressing our gratitude with 50% off of Blade Symphony for a limited time, during Steam’s Autumn Sale.
It’s the perfect time of year to give thanks, but it’s an even better time to hack foes into lifeless corpses! We just released a big update, patch 2002, which includes an improved heavy stance for Pure, two new tutorial chapters, voices for Phalanx and an announcer, and more!
Be sure to pick up Blade Symphony at a discounted price, for you or a buddy, and to enjoy this season with your family and friends!
Hi all – here’s the changelog for revision 2002 of Blade Symphony. Included in this patch is a much improved heavy stance for Pure, two new chapters for the tutorial, voices for Phalanx and an announcer, as well as other miscellaneous bug and exploit fixes and balance. Here’s the notes:
General & bug fixes:
- Added chapters 4 and 5 to the tutorial, covering grabs, being knocked down and recovery
- Made notes on customize screen visible at all times
- Fixed grab deflect exploit
- Fixed string counter not resetting when canceling a charged attack
- Made string counter reset to 0 when reaching end of string (when switching stances)
Gameplay & balance:
- Added velocity pinching for moveable attacks when the attack is in the air
- Hit stun for fast attacks reduced from 0.5 seconds to 0.4 seconds
- Ryoku fast 1 is now a bit faster (0.32 to 0.28) locktime so that it is nearly guaranteed combo to fast 2
- New heavy string 2 tier 2 attack
- New heavy right tier 1, moved old tier 1 to tier 2
- New heavy left tier 2
- Re-recorded tracers for fast left and fast right reducing their arcs
- Re-recorded tracers for balanced left reducing its arc
- Adjusted velocity pinch for balanced left so it starts in the middle of his animation
- Adjusted lock duration for fast 2 from 0.35 to 0.4 seconds giving this string a combo break
- This makes it so that Phalanx cannot combo his entire fast string
- Foil changes:
- Forward attack damage from 0.5 to 0.75
- Note that this doesn’t actually buff the foil due to the below changes to foil damage calculation.
- Heavy attack damage from 0.9 to 0.6
- Changed Foil thrust calculation to happen earlier so it properly applies damage scaling
- This makes it so that Foil does better overall damage but less bonus on the dot product.
- Buffed jumping a bit (4.5 squares of movement, compared to 3.5)
- Lowered fatigue max from 2.0 to 1.5 (the fatigue cooldown is 0.5 seconds faster)
- Attacks now add less fatigue so you can still do pretty good shuffles or dashes after a single attack
- Fatigue now has less of an effect on running
- Added new Phalanx voice-over
- Added new announcer voice
- New Foil swing sounds
- Community: monorail, information screen, new store-fronts added, general detail pass
- Fixed alignment for pure run upper
- Pure animation pass
- turning animations for all her ground stances
- bowing animation
- Fixed lower body animation stopping movement when switching stances while doing a movable attack
- Added Kickstarter textures in district